Dorchester is a fantastic place to live but it is becoming more difficulty for young people to afford to buy their own home.
Why is this and what can we do about it?
THE HOUSE PRICE v. AVERAGE EARNINGS GAP
- Lowest available open market properties start at £150k, rapidly rising through £180k and beyond
- Only 1% of properties in Dorchester (c. 100 properties) are shared ownership – everything else is open market or rented
- Average Public Sector pay is £25k (DCC, WDDC, DCH, Schools), Private Sector probably lower
- Typical mortgage multipliers + deposit require properties priced @ £90-£120k to be affordable
- Consequently, under normal circumstances, young First Time Buyers find it very difficult to get onto the housing ladder in Dorchester
Welcome to the Dorchester Area Community Land Trust (DACLT) website. We are a not-for-profit organisation and we are currently working on a project which will provide affordable housing for young people in Dorchester.
We have had enough of seeing young people priced out of the communities they grew up in, scrimping together enough for a huge deposit while paying sky-high rents. DACLT will provide more options for young people when it comes to home ownership and these properties will remain affordable because this development is firmly in the hands of the community.
Take a look around our website to find out more about our housing project and our plans for Dorchester and the community.
We are always welcoming new members. If you would like to become a member of Dorchester’s first CLT please email email@example.com
Welcome to the Dorchester Area Community Land Trust (DACLT) website. We are a not-for-profit organisation. A new project is coming soon to Dorchester and will provide affordable housing for young people.
We are working very hard to get this project off the ground and more information and exciting news is coming soon! Please visit us again in the near future.
This site is under construction.
For more information about Community Land Trusts please visit the dorsetforyou webpages here
New content is coming soon, watch this space.